The Science Award of the Gisela and Erwin Sick Foundation for Information · Systems · Technologies (German: Wissenschaftspreis der Gisela und Erwin Sick Stiftung für Information · Systeme · Technologien) was established in 2017 to recognize outstanding doctoral dissertations and master or bachelor thesis that have been carried out at KIT in the KCIST research area. The prizes are supported by the Gisela und Erwin Sick Stiftung and are awarded annually by KCIST in cooperation with the KIT-Stiftung.
KCIST, in cooperation with the KIT Foundation (only German), invites applications for the following prizes:
- The Science Award of the Gisela and Erwin Sick Foundation for the best dissertation in 2020, endowed with 7.000 €,
- The Science Award of the Gisela and Erwin Sick Foundation for the best thesis (Bachelor or Master) in 2020, endowed with 3.000 €.
Both fundamental and application-oriented work in the KCIST research area can be awarded. An overview of the KCIST research activities can be found on the website.
The call for applications for the 2020 award is closed. The results are expected to be announced here at the end of September 2021.
Only KIT doctoral candidates and master and bachelor students enrolled at KIT in 2020 can apply for the award. Doctoral theses are eligible if the defence took place in 2020. For a master and bachelor thesis to be eligible, the thesis must have been officially submitted in the year 2020.
Please submit the following documents (in English or German) as a single PDF file:
- Formless application with the following information:
- Name and contact details of the candidate
- Title, date and final mark of the dissertation/thesis
- Curriculum vitae in tabular form
- Electronic version of the dissertation/thesis
- Personal statement (1000 – 1500 characters incl. blanks):
- Why is the dissertation/thesis worth an award?
- What is new compared to the state of the art? (only for doctoral thesis)
- Letter of recommendation of the PhD/thesis supervisor (½ page) (possibly in a separate e-mail)
- Innovation and originality
- Importance of the topic
- Contribution compared to the state-of-the-art (only for doctoral thesis)
- Quality of the results
- Overall impression
- clarity, graphics, pictures, consitency,... of the dissertation/thesis
- application documents
The review committee consists of KCIST members.